CodeWorld & Summer of Haskell 2016
As most Haskell community members know, Haskell was turned down by Google Summer of Code this year, and has instead been seeking to continue the tradition with Summer of Haskell, funded by smaller donations. I’m happy to announce that CodeWorld will be part of Summer of Haskell! I’ve donated to support one student working specifically on CodeWorld.
Are you a student, and interested in helping to build a platform for education in expressive mathematics and computer science? Want to work on a project with immediate impact teaching Haskell in multiple schools? Please propose a project at https://summer.haskell.org/ between now and May 6th.
A great source of CodeWorld project ideas is the bug tracker. Less well-defined projects are tagged as proposals, while more defined features are tagged as enhancements. A few big ones to think about are:
- Export of CodeWorld projects as mobile applications
- Better and more language-aware editor support for Haskell in CodeMirror.
- Implementing constructive geometry
- Building social, gallery, and/or showcase features to help student work be more visible.
- Building a purely functional block-based programming environment.
- Implementing visual tools to help students understand substitution, list comprehensions, and more.
I look forward to working with someone this summer building something cool!
By the way, HUGE thanks to Edward Kmett and other Haskell.org committee members for making this happen this year!